Followers

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The beginning is officially underway…


 
On Friday I competed in my first official America’s Cup bobsled race.  I was the brakeman for Jamie Greubel.  Our race was in Calgary, Alberta, Canada at the Canadian Olympic Park.  After a long 14-hour drive to Calgary, I settled into a house that belonged to a friend of Jamie.  We had 2 runs Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday to get acquainted to the track.  Wednesday was a rough day because we crashed both runs.  Crashes are crazy because one second you are sitting upright and another second you’re upside down being dragged down the track.  I was a little more worried this time because I knew where I was in the track and knew it was going to be a long upside down ride down the track since we crashed in curve 7… There are 14 curves in the Calgary track.  Fortunately we stopped in curve 10 so it wasn’t the worst-case scenario.  I was a little nervous waiting in the start house for our second run though.  I tried my best to not think about it and let Jamie see me upset, but for some reason my emotions had their coffee that morning and were quite alert.  Bummer.  After our second crash that night Jamie and I were both beat… literally. Bruised and banged up.  Thursday night after practice we got the sled all ready for the race.  This means washing and waxing the sled, and sanding runners.  Sanding runners took up about 4 hours, and your hands are typically black from sandpaper dustings afterwards. 

Friday was race day!  Races were at 6pm.  When we warm up for practice and races we do it in the parking lot by the top of the track.  This parking lot is covered in packed snow so you typically have to wear ice walkers so you don’t slip.  Oh and its below zero Fahrenheit.  The snot in your nose freezes it’s so cold.  Once you get warmed up its not too bad.  Plus you have so much adrenaline.  Both runs went great! I remember on my second run we were going down the track and as I was looking down at the bottom of the sled I was counting the curves and just thinking, “Come on Jamie, you can do it! We’re almost there… You got it!”  As we went around curve 14 I was stoked!  I pulled the brakes and once we came to a stop we gave each other big high fives and hugs.  Pulling the brakes was actually pretty difficult in Calgary.  The finish stretch is pretty flat so with the speed from coming down the track makes it hard to brake abruptly.  Plus, your hands are cold and sometimes it is hard to maintain the pulling back and the brakes slip from your hands.  Fortunately I didn’t have any mistakes and was able to brakes with no problems.  We finished in 3rd.


Later that night we had our awards ceremony where I received my first medal for bobsled.  They even had the flag ceremony and played our national anthem because one of the U.S. girls got 1st.   I can’t explain the feelings from race day.  It is so inspirational to see all these great athletes doing what they love with such passion.  I feel as if some of the passion is growing within me.  The desire to be the best… The desire to be the strongest and fastest.  The desire to compete for the U.S.A.  To stand on that awards stand and hear our anthem.  I can only imagine what it must be like for the athletes at the Olympics.  The pride that rushes through your body must be unexplainable.  I would have no problem giving everything I got and sacrificing everything I have to own that moment in the future.  The fire from inside has been lit and I cannot wait to see what God has in store for me during this adventure.  

No comments:

Post a Comment